Our lips need special attention whether it is summer or winter and many of us use lip balms continuously to prevent chapping. There are many products out there in the market and most of them are good, but if you want to take an extra step and go natural, it won’t hurt you. Therefore, we will discuss about how to make your own lip balm at home, with natural ingredients. You only need a few ingredients and it’s not expensive. However, you might have to experiment a bit with the quantities you use until you come up with something you’re comfortable with.
This recipe includes beeswax which provides numerous benefits to your skin. You can search and buy beeswax online or enquire in local craft stores to find out where you can buy it. If you want a glossy lip balm, you only need a small quantity of beeswax and a high amount of coconut oil. However, if you don’t want it glossy and are using it just to prevent chapped lips, you can add more beeswax.
Let’s get on with the recipe.
- Coconut oil
- Almond oil
- Edible glitter (optional)
- Red lipstick (or any color)
- Boil water using a double boiler, but if you don’t have one, find out how to make your own double boiler here that discusses about how to make your own cocoa butter soap at home.
- Melt the ingredients mentioned above together and make sure it attains a liquid form. You can either use beeswax pellets or grate solid beeswax to melt it. Make sure that you don’t burn the mixture.
- Stir the mixture that contains almond oil, beeswax, chunks of lipstick, glitter and coconut oil.
- You can also use any essential oil and pour a few drops so that it smells heavenly. Add the essential oil only after the mixture is taken off the heat.
- Pour it into small plastic containers and wait till the mixture cools down.
Note: Again, make sure you that you don’t burn them. Therefore, remember to melt it using a double boiler. It only takes a while for the mixture to attain a liquid form and you can switch off the heat as soon as it is done. If you burn it, you will only end up with a grainy mixture and it won’t even last long. Beeswax is easily available in many online stores nowadays and if you don’t want to buy them online, you can search through your local yellow pages. Numerous manufacturers sell yellow and white beeswax and it’s pretty easy to purchase them. Similarly, you can purchase essential oils online or just skip it if you don’t need any fragrance.
Enjoy your handmade lip balm and use it frequently to gain best results.