I’m sure a lot of you love body butter made out of cocoa butter as they complement your skin. However, you can make them at home or prepare a soap using cocoa butter at half the cost. As you will use only natural ingredients your skin will really thank you for it. Before we get on with the recipe, you first need to understand how cocoa butter works.
Though many people use cocoa butter while baking food items, it provides numerous benefits to your skin too. Cocoa butter works as an excellent antioxidant and fights against signs of aging. In addition, it also reduces scars and stretch marks and thus, it is used in many products that are used to minimize stretch marks. Recipe:
- Cocoa butter (You can substitute this with Shea butter too)
- Olive oil or vitamin E oil capsules
- Melt about 100 gm beeswax using a double boiler. If you don’t have a double boiler, you can heat water in a pan and place another pan on top it to melt beeswax. Make sure you melt it slowly. Using beeswax is optional and you can just use the other ingredients above but as beeswax is great for your skin, it can be used too.
- Melt about 100 gm cocoa butter using the same technique mentioned above
- Pour about 2 table spoons of olive or Vitamin E oil into the mixture. In addition, you can also use any essential oil, based on the fragrance you need.
- Mix everything and pour into a mold of your choice.
- Basically, we all love soaps that gives out a lot of lather, but using 100% cocoa butter will not provide lather. However, it provides a lot of benefits to your skin, making it glow naturally. You can also use 3-5% cocoa butter to get lather but it might not be as beneficial as 100% cocoa butter. Just a small amount of cocoa butter is enough to last for a long time.
- After it’s hard, pop the soap out of the mold but remember to store your soaps in the refrigerator as they can melt.
Note: You can make many soaps by using the quantities mentioned above and you can buy cocoa butter from many sites nowadays. You also get a lot of choices if you want to buy fragrance oils, essential oils and beeswax. The technique is really simple but you can experiment with it. If you love making candles, all the steps will seem really simple to you. In addition, these soaps make great gifts and you can share them with your loved ones. After all, anything handmade is unique and these soaps provide multiple benefits. If you want to make soaps using Shea butter, you can check this that teaches about how to make your own Shea butter soap at home.